Overview: What Is Domo (Analytics)?
Domo is a leading analytics/BI, data and intelligent apps solution. The software is available commercially and fully supported. Created in 2010, Domo is the first cloud-native platform in this space. So what is Domo software? In our experience, Domo is the most valuable and effective analytics platform available. In this article, we discuss this broader category of software and why Domo is such a strong performer in the space. We also explore its specific capabilities and advantages.
What Is a Domo Analytics?
Domo analytics is a complete cloud analytics platform that was created for large enterprises and small businesses. It's enterprise ready thanks to its deep set of capabilities across the full stack of requirements for security, governance, dashboarding, reporting and data science, all in a collaborative setting.
Within the incredibly crowded analytics space, Domo is an outlier due to its unique focus on ease of use for both business and technical users. In 2022, Gartner calls Domo's "consumer design focus" a significant advantage for the company and its customers. Gartner also considers its "speed of deployment" a significant advantage, with over 1,000 platform API connectors and a low-code / no-code environment for creating analytics content and custom analytics apps.
What Is Domo Software and Why Is It Valuable?
When we talk about Domo software, we're referring to the cloud-native Domo Analytics platform. When Domo first launched, it was radically ahead of other vendors by starting out cloud only*. Early on, this was somewhat of a disadvantage as cloud was fairly new and still taking root. However, in the last 5+ years, its cloud-only platform has become a significant advantage. Other vendors have struggled to create reliable, intelligible cloud offerings that do not cannibalize and disrupt their on-prem business models.
On-prem systems that are retrofitted for the cloud are often difficult to use due to confusing licensing with the mixed models. Additionally, these other vendors attempt to take on-prem software and run it in the cloud, leading to disruption and loss of value. Meanwhile, Domo started out on the cloud. Therefore, every bit of its development has leveraged cloud-native approaches and technologies in a single solution.
Its inherhent compatibility with the cloud lends to Domo's ease of use. There are no fragmented bits of capability cobbled together. Rather, Domo has developed a single, seamless set of capabilities in a cloud-only environment.
*There are unique hosted Domo solutions for certain client requirements. These clients still benefit from the cloud architecture, hosted within certain acceptable zones.
Domo Analytics Capabilities
The image below outlines Domo's key features. These features are broadly grouped into several areas that offer distinct value for businesses.
The Top Analytics Tools Today
This is a mature space that has gone through decades of evolutionary stages. Domo is by far the easiest analytics platform to use, with the fastest time to value, optimal performance and scalability when compared to its peers.
Below, we have grouped the top vendors into "Traditional BI" and "Modern Analytics". These are drawn from the Gartner Magic Quadrant and ranked by Graphable in order of value to the business.
- Tableau (Salesforce)
- Looker (Google)
- Power BI (Microsoft)
- Cognos (IBM)
- Business Objects (SAP)
- Oracle BI
While there is some confusion about the highly questionable placement of vendors like Microsoft with its highly fragmented and frustrating user experience, it can be helpful to check out the complete Magic Quadrant for Analytics and Business Intelligence Platforms rankings from Gartner.com.
Principal Domo Analytics Features
- Data apps / intelligent apps. These are easy to create and deploy, purpose-built, low-code data and intelligent apps. They leverage your analytics data of record with standards-based development tools, plus a whole app store of pre-built options. They can easily include workflows, data collection, user stories and DDX bricks. They're also embeddable.
- Reporting and dashboards. Domo boasts over 150 chart types, 7,000+ custom map options, drag-and-drop ad hoc analysis and content creation, shareable custom calculations and easily deployed dashboards.
- Self service. Domo is available for highly used mobile apps for iOS and Android. It offers customizable and shareable user-defined stories that are easy to create for business users. Additionally, it has easy end-user filtering and slicing/dicing. Its no-code drill-path set up can be easily defined and redefined by end users as their needs evolve, with smart text for linking filter concepts across a dashboard.
- Collaboration. Users can access in-context chat, user profiles, projects, tasks, scheduled content and more.
- Embedded analytics. Domo Everywhere (which is the Domo embedded analytics solution, a.k.a Domo embed), is an industry-leading set of capabilities for the important embedded analytics use case. Notably, it has full-featured capabilities available and deploys appropriate security across even large-scale use cases.
- Connect data. Domo has more than 1,000 pre-built cloud and on-prem connectors, custom connections through APIs/SDKS/Webhooks and custom connectors, multi-cloud, federated data, partitioned connectors, secured write-back and more.
- Data transformation. Magic ETL (drag-and-drop ETL flows), SQL dataflows (coded data flows) and interactive dataset views are always available. It also has data science studio, automated machine learning, visual/realtime and interactive instance catalogue, and more.
- Security and governance. Domo's security and governance features include data lineage, flexible security (from FGAC to content-based security using Domo PDP), trusted attributes, UI and/or API-based user management options, custom user groups and roles, bulk content administration, Domo stats (platform/usage stats), certified content with workflows, group access and administration, sandbox and more.
- Additional security. Additional robust security options include Domo's Enterprise security architecture, bring your own key (BYOK) encryption. It's also compliant with GDPR/HIPAA/SOC 1&2 and ISO standards. Finally, it features single sign on, multi-factor authentication, searchable logging and audits.
- Cloud infrastructure. Domo's infrastructure is built using cloud-native architecture, dynamic scaling and massively parallel processing (MPP) included for performance, multi-cloud, federated data, cloud and on-prem connectors.
Domo Analytics Pricing
Domo offers paid SaaS pricing plans to fit both enterprises as well as small and medium business customers. For more detail, see Domo pricing.
Top Advantages of Domo Analytics
- Cloud native. Domo is the only analytics platform designed as a single product and platform, all for cloud. This contrasts with almost all other platforms that struggle with pricing and offer essentially fragmented on-prem solutions that are adapted to the cloud.
- Consumer centric design. Gartner cites one of Domo's key advantages as its "consumer design focus". This focus both for business and IT aspects of the platform makes it easier for users to quickly adopt and gain value from the platform.
- High rate of adoption. Because Domo is the only true single, seamless platform (as opposed to nearly all others that spring from fragmented on-prem solutions), and because of its unusually effective and attractive design, organizations that deploy Domo experience high rates of adoption from the CXO down.
- Single product. As mentioned above, most companies are used to the "single platform" story advertised across analytics vendors. Unfortunately, in most cases this is only true in the UI . Nearly all other vendors have assembled their tools through acquisitions that are cobbled together under a single UI. Domo is the first true single, seamless platform from the UI down.
- Easily deployed. Most companies are used to lengthy and massively expensive analytics rollouts with greater than 70% failure rates. Domo has shattered this norm thanks to its true single platform and consumer-centric design. Gartner cites "speed of deployment" as another of Domo's many advantages.
- Scalable. Domo is one of the largest cloud data users in the world. Currently, the platform queries over 100 trillion rows of data every day. Whereas most companies experience performance lag with even the most popular analytics products (even on the cloud), the Domo platform offers dynamic scaling to support massive and performant queries to scale with your organization.
- Performant. Whether you need normal queries on smaller data sets or queries that return hundreds of millions of rows, Domo performs without the many workarounds or expensive infrastructure required by other vendors.
- Mobile. To this day, mobile has been an afterthought within the analytics space. Domo is the only vendor that has treated mobile as a first-class UI citizen from the very beginning. This is one of many reasons Domo is the only vendor with close to 500 CEOs using its platform and mobile app every day to run their businesses.
- Data science. Domo has taken a refreshingly common-sense approach to deploying data science with its data science suite for organizations. This creates a context where more users can both deploy and consume AI/ML content and capabilities than ever before.
When to use Domo
- The National Geographic Society
- US Army
- Thomson Reuters
- Volvo Cars